Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Noticing

Each week when I walk into her office she begins by asking something along the lines of "what have you noticed?" In response, I generally launch into whatever it is I've been thinking about or feeling or struggling with recently. I have rarely given much deep consideration to the specific question itself. I realize that perhaps it isn't intended to be taken so specifically, that it's main purpose is likely just to spur the process. Nonetheless, it is a very good question, especially when taken specifically.

More importantly, I think it also begs the fundamental question of "have you been noticing?" Have you been staying present and aware in your daily life? If so, what has been the focus of that awareness? What things have drifted to the forefront of your consciousness? But, also, what are those things still flitting about the periphery?

What have I noticed?

And what has gone unnoticed?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great reflection! Noticing is the first step sometimes.

Lambie said...

How do you notice the unnoticed? :/

Steve Ansell said...

Lambda, I believe you begin just by taking notice. Noticing what's around you, noticing what's in your own head, what you feel, just noticing.

Unknown said...

I like what you said at the end...and what has gone unnoticed...that is sometimes where all the answers lie...and the area that I am trying to work within right now. Though so far what I am noticing is all the avoidance techniques I use to keep things unnoticed.